My friend nick said that blogging should be unedited. So here is my latest unedited thought.
Tahoe is experiencing a mass exodus of 20- and 30-something young families. The reason is a 1-2 punch: 1-bad job market, 2-expensive housing market. Essentially Tahoe is turning into a Vail or Aspen type town. I don't really have a problem with this as a philosophical capitalist understanding that the USA is driven by capitalism. Capitalism in most cases is good for us. But in Tahoe it is bad for community.
I am realizing that it is not just probable that Tahoe community will continue to die, but inevitable. And that leaves me with a young family wondering - is this the best place to be? It would be very hard to leave for family and financial reasons, although my job is easily mobile (publishing company) and can be done anywhere. Still, I'm not really ready to move yet.
So I suppose at this point I am resigned to just staying in Tahoe and facing the good and the bad. Everyone has good and bad in their life. For some the bad is health, others money, others spiritual strife, and on and on. For my family part of the bad for now at least is living in a dying community. There are my unedited thoughts of the day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
an area as beautiful as Tahoe will never die, there will have to be an adjustment in pricing, just as many place in the USA are having to do right now. I know that DeeDee thinks that it is dying fast and you should move to one of the countries fastest grown areas, matter of fact in the top 10 growning cities. However, I think we all should move to Montana!
Liela, as far as sleep, you do not know the lack of sleep yet. When you child becomes a teen, you never go to sleep until they are safe in the house, this goes on through high school and now days with sports etc in junior high. By the time Judah is 1 he will sleep all night, by the time he is 16 you will be getting 6 hours a night at the most and you are older!! Think on this and you will sleep better now. Ha!
david
Post a Comment